B. Lack of Discipline – These people refuse to do anything that would take them out of their comfort zone! This could be both saved and unsaved! Listen to what the Word of God has to say about this kind of person:
Mt. 10:37-39, “He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.”
Mt. 16:24-26, “Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?” (See also Mk.8:34-37; Lk. 9:23-25; Lk. 14:25-27; Lk. 17:33; Jn. 12:25…These are all similar Scriptures.)
This is the person who refuses to be disciplined no matter what happens. They know what is right but never want to do it for whatever reason. Even those of us who are saved can fall into this category from time to time! Here are some reasons for lack of discipline within our lives.
- Fear of legalism – When we see what legalism does in a person’s life, it is easy to decide not to do anything because we don’t want to be legalistic.
- Laziness – Many times we are simply lazy and refuse to do what we know is right. May the Lord forgive our laziness as we serve Him according to HIS will!
- Lack of teaching – If we don’t know to do something then we will fall short in areas where we’ve had no training. This is why it’s so important to study the Bible with a good concordance in hand and continuous prayer that the Holy Spirit would open our eyes and show us wondrous things out of His law! It is also important that we find someone with whom we can be accountable and who will share areas where we are wrong or in sin so we can grow to become more like the Lord Jesus Christ. This is very important and it doesn’t matter if our feelings are hurt…we should be willing to listen to God’s Word regardless of our feelings. It is also important that we find a church where the truth of God’s Word is expounded regularly and we know that they will not follow after man but God! Stagnation leads to going backwards instead of forwards. May we be willing to grow spiritually no matter what situation the Lord has placed us!
- Fear of being called legalistic by those who don’t want to serve God – This is very important because this fear can cause us to do absolutely nothing that would rock the boat. If you know you are doing something because you love the Lord (and you are following what the Bible says to do) then it doesn’t matter that someone tells you, you are being legalistic. Most times those people are being convicted by the Holy Spirit and don’t want it. They will do everything in their power to keep you from serving the Lord so they won’t have to or won’t be convicted. They might not even be saved and don’t want anything to change in their lives. Whatever the case is, being obedient to the Lord is more important than following the crowd through fear of being called legalistic!
- Busyness that transcends following what the Lord would have you do – This can happen to all of us if we are not careful. If we are too busy to be obedient to the Lord than we are too busy! Sometimes, we can even get busy ‘doing the Lord’s work’ which means we have put the Lord’s work before the Lord. This is idolatry and NOT to be tolerated in our lives. Anything that comes before the Lord is idolatry and must be rooted out and replaced with obedience!
In a day and age where we have everything at our fingertips and we dispose most everything if we don’t want it, it becomes vital that we learn how to be a disciple of the Lord! How hard it is for us to do what is right and desire to change when we have things that take our attention from the Lord. The world, the flesh, and the devil seek to take our attention away from the One who is truly worthy, the Lord, and it is a continual fight to do what is right. Are we willing to follow the Lord and seek His face above all else? May the Lord be glorified in every area of our lives as we seek to be obedient and submissive to HIS will!